Get More From Your Kitchen Renovation
In addition to being one of the most popular renovations homeowners complete, the kitchen often nets the highest return on your investment (ROI) relative to other areas in your home. While many homeowners give the kitchen a minor update to keep it modern, others choose a full remodel to improve the style and function of the space, enjoy it more and make it more attractive to potential buyers
5 popular kitchen trends with great returns
1. Smart technology. Some of the latest kitchen appliances feature technology that allows you to control the appliances from your smartphone, save energy and work more efficiently in the kitchen. Imagine a refrigerator that tells you when you’re running out of milk, an oven that preheats on your commute home and a dishwasher that alerts you when there’s a leak. It’s all within reach and can save you time.
2. Open-space concepts. Consider removing some or all of the upper cabinets and store dishes, food and other items at eye-level. Utilize more efficient storage solutions in the base cabinets and outfit tall wall cabinets with pullout storage so you can easily view and access the items you need.
3. Touch technology. Activate the faucet with your elbow or the back of your hand when your hands are full or dirty. Touch technology streamlines meal preparation, makes it easier to keep your sink and faucet clean and helps ensure safer food preparation.
4. Comfortable gathering space. Creating a comfortable seating area encourages family to hang out together while dinner is cooking. Kids can do homework and your friends can socialize during parties.
5. Purposeful lighting Take your lighting to the next level by illuminating the interiors or undersides of your cabinets. Cabinet and under cabinet lighting combine function and style to add an element of sophistication to your remodeled kitchen.
Make your small kitchen appear more spacious
Choose light colours to give the illusion of openness.
Install open shelving to keep your dishes within easy reach and display them with style.
Incorporate patterns. Choose a bold pattern for the floor, countertops or wall to create visual interest in the room.
Diversify your lighting. Install flush or recessed fixtures that blend into the architecture of the room.
Create a mobile island. Kitchen islands increase counter and storage space in small kitchens. Install wheels on yours so it is front and center when you need it and movable to the side when you’re entertaining guests.
Things to consider before you start
1. Why are you remodelling? Are you planning to sell soon, or do you simply want to improve the style and function of your kitchen? The answer to this question will help you decide the scope of your project and your overall budget.
2. How long do you plan to live in the home? If you plan to move within five years, consider a renovation that will give you the highest return on investment. If you plan to stay in the home for a decade or longer, consider making long-term functional improvements that fit your style and budget.
3. Do you have or plan to have children? Choose durable,easy-to-clean materials for your renovation.
4. Are you planning to live in the home during the project? If you’re planning a major renovation, consider arranging accommodation off-site so you won’t be inconvenienced.
3 Renovation tips for the best ROI
1. Keep updates in line with the style of the neighbourhood. Expensive upgrades may not payoff if they’re not the norm of the neighbourhood. If you plan to sell soon, choose materials and appliances that are on par with the style of the average home in your area.
2. Don’t over-improve the room; you’re unlikely to get a return on your investment. Instead, make simple upgrades to your lighting, fixtures, and hardware and freshen the space with a coat of paint.
3. Update appliances, especially if they’re no longer working efficiently. Resist the urge to upgrade to high-end appliances, unless it’s in keeping with the style of the home.
What are the costs involved?
The average kitchen renovation in Canada costs $25,593; however, a major renovation may cost as much as $50,000, depending on the appliances and materials used.
What’s the average cost of materials?
New cabinets and countertops: $7,483
Cabinet refinishing: $3,819
Stone countertops: $3,839
Wood flooring: $6,392
Ceramic flooring $2,333
Source: Money Sense, December 14, 2017
If you’re planning to sell soon, choose neutral colours on walls and window treatments. Stainless steel appliance will enhance the look.
Image Used: Our Clients Home Where They Completely Renovated Their Kitchen From Top To Bottom. We Think It Is A Prime Example Of How To Do It Right!